Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Very Big Adventrue

I had to share this amusing story with everyone, even though it happened to Jeff. So, I heard it from him and am filling in as his ghost blogger.

Jeff and Amy visited Grandma on Monday. When they got there she was in the dining room but hadn't eaten yet. They asked her if she wanted to stay and eat there or if she wanted to go somewhere with them. She said that she wanted to go to McDonald's and they all headed outside to the parking lot.

As they started down the sidewalk, Jeff noticed one of the residents was parking their car on the south side of the parking lot (by that driveway that slopes down towards the covered parking.) The car caught his eye because it was coming in very fast. Suddenly, the car accelerated forward over the curb, over the guard rail, and fell four feet down the sloped driveway. The guard rail broke off and crashed into an SUV that was parked along the driveway.

Jeff sent Amy and Grams back into Conventry and told them to go ahead back into the dining room and he ran to assist the lady in the car. Her airbags had deployed and she was in shock. He asked if she was all right and had the front desk call an ambulence. The lady did not appear hurt and as she realized that she had crashed the first thing she said to Jeff was, "I've been to the grocery store and have some frozen food in my trunk. Will you make sure someone takes it in and gets it in the freezer?" I'm sorry, I laughed at that; she was concerned about her ice cream and frozen peas :)

Anyway, Jeff was the only witness and stayed behind to give his statement and make sure everything was OK. He also said that many of the residents came out to watch the spectacle and give their opinions. They probably don't get that much excitement around there too often!

On an unrelated note, I don't know if you have noticed that Grams is a little un-talkative these days. I know that Dr. Nelson is trying some new medication to try and help. But I had a request; if anyone stumbles onto a topic or activity that she seems more interested in, please let the rest of us know. I know that every once in a while we can get her out of her shell with certain triggers and if you happen to find something she likes or responds to, I would sure love to know what it is. Also, Gram is getting a little forgetful about meals so if you visit, maybe check with her (or the front desk) to make sure she has eaten. I think we may be signing her up for meal reminders soon, but in the meantime we can all help her out.

Well, that was all, I found it amusing and thought I would share. If you have amusing experiences as well, please drop us a quick blog (nothing long or elaborate) so that we can hear how our old gal is doing.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my heck! What an eventful night! I hope that little lady ended up okay in the end, and that her ice cream made it to the freezer in time. Thanks for the post Cam, it's good to hear about these things. :)

    ReplyDelete