Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Continued Adventures of the Grumpy Goose & the Twins...


Meg and I went to visit Grams on Monday night (August 8). We show up between 4:30PM and 5:00PM on our nights with her. When she first moved in to her new place she wanted to leave every chance she got. She would be waiting for us and we would usually go out to eat at McDonald's or even walk around the mall and get some See's candies before we left. There was even one occasion when there was a HORRIBLE blizzard and she still insisted that we go out. That has changed over the last couple of months. In a way I am glad that she feels like she is at home and she doesn't want to leave, but in some ways I wish she still felt like going out for a bit and breaking up the monotony.

This night was no different than the last few we've had with her. By the time we got there at 4:45PM she was already in the dining room eating dinner. Meg and I sat with her and chatted with her while she ate. After she finished we asked if she needed to go to the store or if she wanted to go walk around the mall. She declined our offer and said she just wanted to go back to her room.

As we passed the lobby one of her friends was playing the piano so we decided to sit and listen for a bit. The woman playing the piano is one of the residents that lives across the hall from Grams. Her name is Clarissa and her husband had passed away one week before our visit. Clarissa finished playing and came to sit by us. She told us that her next project was Hilda since her husband passed away. She said, "I want to get Hilda back to her happy self again" and Meg and I said that was our goal too. When Grams heard the 3 of us suggest that she wasn't her happy and talkative self anymore she insisted to all of us that we were completely wrong. I told Grams that I know she is happy in some ways, but I want to help her get back to her happy and inviting self. She said she isn't sad at all and that she has no problems. I was glad she feels like she is still her old self and that I got to see her be passionate for at least a few minutes.

We had a nice chat for 30 minutes and then Grams told Meg and I she wanted to go back to her room and that she would like us to leave after that. So we walked her back to her room, got her settled, and left for the night.

I know this post isn't the happiest thing in the world, I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that she really likes to stay at her condo and even though she complains more than she used to she really feels like she is happy...so that's good news.

Also, she is very excited for her birthday and brought it up several times. She wants a party and wants everyone to come that can. She also said she would like us to sing for all of the residents again, maybe even on her birthday as a present to her, so if anyone is game for that maybe we can get something together.

Thanks everyone! Grams loves talking about EVERYONE (especially Kristen :) when we are with her. She gets a lot of joy from her family and I am grateful for that!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting Chels Lyn! I love the pictures as well, it added a fun touch. And it reminded me that I need to cut my hair... :)

    ReplyDelete