Tuesday, October 26, 2010

2 Little Grumps...

I went to visit Grams last night. Cambria joined us for the first 30 minutes but then she had to leave for a previously scheduled engagement.

We ate dinner at the cafeteria and since I had never eaten there before I decided to get the same thing as Grams (a cup of fruit, a grilled cheese sandwich or "toasted bread and cheese" as Grams calls it; root beer; and chocolate ice cream). We chatted about her childhood and the snow and how windy it was on Sunday night. We also talked about the upcoming holidays and she mentioned that she is going to have Thanksgiving with my Mom and Kristen. I am not sure if Mom and Kristen are having Thanksgiving together, and since Grams didn't mention anyone else I had the odd picture in my mind of Grams, Colleen and Kristen sitting there eating a big Thanksgiving dinner, just the three of them. When I giggled a bit and tried to get clarification on where they were going to eat exactly, Grams did not think it was funny. She was not in a joking mood. She also brought up the fact that we will be getting the rest of her things out of the Magna house after Thanksgiving. She said "After that I am done." I said, "Done going back out to Magna?" and she said, "No, I am done with it all".

We finished up dinner and headed to her room. I asked if she wanted to watch a movie and she said, "Only if you'll watch it with me." I told her I could only watch the first hour of the movie and then I'd have to go. She told me to pick what I wanted to watch. I decided on Singing in the Rain since I love that show and the DVD hadn't been opened yet. I am not sure if it was just because she was in a bad mood, but she did NOT want to watch that movie. Every 2 or 3 , minutes she'd say something about how crazy that movie was. I was too grump at that point in time to try and talk her into enjoying the movie.

After being there for 2 1/2 hours I told her I had to leave for the night. She got very upset and asked me to stay a bit longer. I stayed for 5 more minutes and when I announced that I was going to leave again she asked me to stay again. We went back and forth for another 30 minutes. I finally told her that I really needed to leave and that I would come back soon. I looked at her calendar and told her that she would be seeing Jen the next day and that seemed to cheer her up a bit.

Sorry this was such a sad post. I love Grams so much and my entire life we have always had such a fun time together. It was sad to see her in a bad mood and I was sad that I couldn't pull her out of it.

On a final note, she did tell Cambria and I that she'd like more phone calls. She said that Harold's kids call him all the time, and Cambria asked if he got as many visitors as she does, and she said, "No, but I want more phone calls too." I think she's turning this into a little competition. So call her people :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I'm invited to that same Thanksgiving dinner, but of course if Kristin is present, that trumps everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I think Colleen, Grandma & I would have a lot of fun together, we don't have any plans for that small, exclusive Thanksgiving meal. That's really hilarious.

    I love all the details & thoughts you shared, Chelsea. Thanks for taking time to write about it.

    ReplyDelete