Saturday, September 25, 2010

Back to the Temple

Grandma and I weren't sure how long it has been since she had experienced a temple session, but we guessed maybe five years. Probably when Andrew or Marcee prepared for their missions, so it was no wonder she was a bit nervous about going. Nevertheless, she was dressed and ready with recommend in hand when I arrived Friday morning at 9:45 am.

Upon arriving at the Jordan River Temple we found it already busy with wedding groups. In the dressing room she was a little concerned on how she should dress but it all turned out well. We were able to get right in to the next session and had a wonderful experience together.

On our way back to the dressing room and throughout the afternoon she commented on how she couldn't believe how much she had forgotten. "I used to be a Temple Worker. I should know!" I reminded her that it had been quite some time since she had been there and how I thought she did quite well. I told her we would come back more often so that she could remember.

From there we went to the Fashion Place Mall. She has wanted to buy a coat for a year. First we stopped in at Nordstoms to see Mallory working and found we had just missed Jenny. Then we went to the food court and shared a chinese lunch while Mallory had grilled chicken. Of course, she wanted a chocolate shake for dessert.

Then we began our trek from store to store: Maceys, Sears, Dillards..... not one of them had long dress coats for winter. They were all short coats. The sales woman did show us one longer black coat that was not pretty but the tag read $699. Talk about sticker shock. Then we found out it was a cashmere coat. It still was ugly. We plan on going to Burlington Coat Factory when I come on Wednesday.

Back to her apartment we found that the day had really sped by. We changed the sheets and did a bit of housekeeping. But then some saddness set in for me. She had been very engaged and alert most of the day. However, when we arrived at her place she became confused and quiet again. Things seemed disjointed and unclear to her. She repeated things again and again. I kissed her good-bye about 5:45 pm, took the two laundry bags and told her I would be back Wednesday. She sat on the couch watching the news as I left, and I realized what Colleen had told me was right. With dementia, a person can go from clarity to confusion in a short time. I saw that happen. I was so glad I had the first part of the day to make memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment