Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday Afternoon with Hilda (As opposed to Tuesdays with Morrie)

I ended up having to work this morning but was able to arrive at Grandma's by 2:30 pm. I found her in a solemn mood watching the Weather Channel. She seemed pleased to see me and immediately told me that there was to be a special event and someone would be knocking on her door at 3:00 to remind her to come. I was thrilled to hear that. Within 15 minutes the reminder knock came. I met "Nancy" who was one of Grandma's new friends. She is an "Aide" who has many clients at Coventry. Nancy helps with showering, medicating, dressing, hairstyling, etc. She said that she an Grandma had a wonderful visit getting to know each other and found that they both love Musicals.

The 'event' was a 15 year old young man who played the piano. It sounded like he must have taken lessons from Colleen. He was very good. He played a variety from musicals. When he started to play "Some Enchanted Evening" I got a bit nervous how Grandma would react. She started to sob more than I have seen her do. I just held her as she cried into her tissue. After he finished that song she composed herself and cheered up a bit.

We went back to her apartment because there was a lot of clean up to do. (She can mess things up in an hour.) First, the apartment. I cleaned all the chocolate splatters and smudges and wiped down, threw away and organized things. Then I had to do something with the way Grandma looked. Knowing she really wanted to go to the event, I just let it go, even though I saw how some of the ladies looked at her.

We went to Dollar tree to get what we could there for hygiene, (and cards). Then to Walmart for a curling iron and other things she needs on hand so I can do her hair when I am there. (We also bought her some pantyhose because I explained that knee high nylons just do not look good with her new suits and dresses.) When we returned they were on the last seating for dinner so we went to the dining room. She said she wanted soup and ice cream. I told her she also needed to eat something she could chew to get used to her lower dentures so she ordered a half grilled cheese also and ate some of that. I was glad it was vegetable soup so she could chew the soft vegetables. Encouraging chewing will help so much. Dr. Robinson said it will be tender for some time while her gums get used to it but Ibuprofen will be a help with the tenderness.

Then back to her apartment for a shower, hairwashing, clean clothes and a fresh hairstyle. She was upset during this time and kept saying she felt like a little girl being told what to do and having help with it. I just let her vent because, well, she really needed it.

She chose to watch NYPD while I dried and did her hair. Hmm, Interesting. We both learned new things about how homicides are solved. By then it was 9:00, so she was clean, fresh and all fixed up to go to bed. She became frustrated and unhappy that she would be alone tonight. I gave her meds to her and reminded her that she was alone when Harold went to Nephi. I grabbed the dirty clothes to take home and kissed her goodnight.

Jen, she loved the flowers you brought. That was so sweet. Chantelle, she said she had a great visit with you and Matt while enjoying ice cream. How great! As Brianne was her caregiver for 3+ weeks during the day she found that reminding Grandma what a strong woman she is and what an example she is seemed to help. Brianne, she loved having her hair done every day.

By the way, I took her to a doctor about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The doctor read her health history and said that her blood sugar looks great. She said there is no sign of diabetes. I know she loves her chocolate.

Grandma said she is going to leave 'this place' and go rent an apartment and cook TV dinners for herself. I reminded her that as a high school home ec. teacher she taught about the value or good food. She didn't reply to that.

Also I was pleased that the ladies who live there saw her and said "Hi, Hilda". She didn't respond, but I did. And I think eventually she will, too. These things that we are all doing, little by little, will help so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment