Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Answered Prayer

When I arrived at Grandma's today it was just after noon, so I planned to go eat lunch with her at the cafeteria.  However, when I got to her room she told me she couldn't find her glasses.  This was really bothering her and she kept repeating the same things about how people would think she had lost her mind and get mad at her for losing them.  I figured I would be able to find them very quickly since her place isn't that big, but they were no where to be found.

I convinced her that we should go eat and then look for them again when we got back.  At lunch she kept repeating that she just really wanted to find her glasses.  I told her she wasn't crazy and told her all of my stories about losing things and how it frustrated Marc.  At lunch we sat with an retired couple as well as a very quiet woman with a walker.  She kept saying how much better off she was than most people there (a little too loud too).  I told her that I thought they all looked great and how nice it must be for her to not have to cook.  She loved that Jose, the waiter, knew her name and new what her regular order was--grilled cheese sandwich, root beer, and chocolate ice cream.

When we came back we began hunting for her glasses again.  They weren't at the front desk and she had them the night before so we knew they had to be in the apartment.  She said that she had told Harold on the phone that morning that she had lost them and he said that he would pray she would find them.  With that reminder I figured I should say a little prayer too.  We were both in her room looking when I glanced in the closet and then turned back around to find them sitting nicely on her bed.  It surprised me so much I looked at Grandma wondering if she had been playing some game hiding them from me.  But there they were in plain site.  She was so relieved and got a bit emotional.  She kept thanking me but I kept telling her it wasn't me.  I told her that Harold must have great faith because it really was an answer to his and our prayers.

After that she was much more at ease, and she re-taught me how to knit.  It took me a while to catch on, but I finally got it.  She was so proud of me.  Now I just have to learn how to start a row.  We kept knitting until Dave picked her up for her dentist appointment.  I left with a greater appreciation for prayer and Grandma's great faith.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you had such faith to find something so small as well. You've always been that way. :) I also love that Grams can eat the same thing 3 times a day and never get sick of it. I could do that with crisp bean burritos from Taco Time though, so I guess it is not that weird.

    I need to sit down with Grams and have her teach me how to knit again too. Maybe next time Chels and I go over. I'm glad you got a bit of calm time with her at least.

    ReplyDelete