Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Coming full circle with Gram

Every summer when I was growing up, we went to Gram's on Saturday to do yard work, cleaning, canning, and any other chores she could come up with. Sometimes we would go during the week since we didn't have school and neither did Gram.

She would have All My Children on, of course, but she never let us just sit and watch it. We always had to be "doing something" or we were "wasting the day." She would put up quilts sometimes but more often than not, she would give us a counted cross-stitch or knitting. To this day Jeff is the best cross-stitcher I know and the reason he learned is because Gram wouldn't let him watch his cartoons unless he was keeping his hands busy with something useful.

Knowing that Gram is now watching TV for part of her day, I figured that fair is fair; she needs to be doing something useful. So before I went to visit her last night, I went to the craft store and got her a counted cross-stitch, some yarn and some knitting needles.

When I got there she was just finishing dinner in the cafeteria. Harold was not there and I took it as an encouraging sign that she had gone down to eat by herself. I showed her the stuff and she looked at me like I was nuts. I explained about the Warm Up America charity. You knit 9x9 inch squares and send them in to WUA where they are sewn together into blankets and given to homless shelters, Ronald McDonald Houses, and various other charities. You can even sew them and send in the finished blankets (which they prefer.) I told her that she and I would each knit enough square to make a blanket and we could send it in. (btw, if anyone else wants to participate, i have lots of needles, yarn, and can show you the simple knit stitch in about 15 minutes.) I got her started on a row of stitches and she took it over and knitted a few rows. She didn't seem as keen on the cross-stitch and I am thinking it is because the needle is smaller and harder to handle.

Anyway, we had a good visit and I can tell she is doing a lot better. She LOVES having people visit her everyday and talked a lot about Jen's Family Home Evening and Abe's soccer game. On my way home, it made me smile that she had forced me to stay busy by doing something useful and now I had the opportunity to turn the table and do the same for her. Yes, me and Gram have come full circle.

3 comments:

  1. I love it, Cam! It is true that she always had projects and jobs for us to do. I had talked to her about knitting last time I was there only because I saw that there is a knitting club that meets at Coventry on Monday afternoons. I'm so glad you've actually taken action and got her going on something productive.

    I, too, have thought about what "things" Grandma could be doing in her room. I thought about getting some her photos together and getting basic scrap booking supplies. She could paste and label photos into a book.

    But, I like the knitting project much more. I'd help out, but I've got to have someone re-teach me how to knit. I swear I've learned seven different times. I never forget crocheting, but knitting just doesn't stick for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, Cambria! I agree with both you & Jenny...we've got to find ways to engage her mind beyond the television. She's always loved crafts, I wish she could get the energy & catch that fire again! Knitting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to help out with the knitting. I have needles, but I've totally forgot how to do it. Maybe sometime soon you can show me how. I love this blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete