Friday, September 17, 2010

Relief Society- The Way It Used To Be

I arrived on Wednesday afternoon and was greeted by Grandma with her hair combed (she did it by herself and it looked quite presentable), lipstick on, wearing a red dress, nylons and dress shoes. She was ready for Relief Society! They have it every Wednesday afternoon at 3:00 pm. It brought back memories of decades ago when Relief Society was always held midweek.

She had forgotten that I was coming so she had asked Dave to go with her. I thought how sweet that Dave would go to Relief Society with his cute, little Mom. He arrived shortly before 3:00 and I told him that I would go with her. Before he left he told us that Kelsey would be joining us. I had brought a skirt in the car in case she was up to going to the Temple, so I dressed for the meeting and we went to Relief Society. Cute Kelsey joined us and sitting there together it was wonderful to realize there were three generations together.

It was a great meeting with a wonderful lesson on Faith tuaght by a gentleman who is a senior missionary. I learned that the meeting is actually combined Priesthood/Relief Society. Grandma seemed fully engaged. Though she was too timid to participate she would make comments to Kelsey or I. I introduced myself to a couple of ladies who I felt could become supportive friends to Grandma. On my next visit I plan to take Grandma and visit them with her. I am hoping this will encourage her to sit with them at her meals.

We had dinner together and they were serving salmon. I encouraged her to not get soup this time but to try the salmon, broccoli and roasted potatoes and she agreed. I think she was pleasantly surprised how good it was to eat a regular meal. She also opted for the jello cake instead of chocolate ice cream. Before I left she asked me to make sure she was signed up for the scenic drive in the canyon on Friday at 1:30, and she was! I was thrilled to see her being proactive. Then I gave her a new address book I had bought as the two she has are worn. As I said goodbye she was starting to transfer all the addresses into the new book. Like Cambria said, "something to keep her mind and hands busy."

But the biggest plus: She didn't say once that she would kill herself if she has to live there.:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment